Sunday, October 26, 2008

From the chair

From Carol Eichler, chair:

Fall is a good time for taking stock. As I walk about my garden this time of year I’m taking notes about what worked, what didn’t, what things I need to address in the spring. Everything is so lush and full it’s hard to imagine the transformation that comes with winter or to remember, come spring, this moment in time.

So too, it’s time to take stock of our Chapter’s year. It has been a busy one – and a good one. If I were to describe the year, what stands out for me is the addition of a greater-than-average number of new members. Wow! It was also a stellar year for our plant sales. This issue includes a report from our various Board members and serves as our annual report. This a very hard-working, dedicated group so please take a moment to thank them for all that they do. I know I am eternally grateful for the privilege of working with them all.

I hope their reports will invoke memories of your gardening year and ways in which our Chapter enhanced your knowledge and experience. For my part I am reporting that this year ends my second term as Chair and so I am stepping down or should I say Billie Jean Isbell is stepping up, with your vote at the annual meeting in November, to serve as Chair for the next 2-year term. Many of you know Billie Jean. She has wonderful ever-evolving gardens including several rock gardens, water features, and wonderful mixed border plantings. The Chapter will be in very capable hands.

This issue of GD also offers a preview of our coming program year. You will get a chance to see Billie Jean’s garden, in fact, if you attend our September 2009 program.

Please come to our November meeting, scheduled on the third Saturday of the month, November 15th. We are breaking with tradition by offering a speaker program. Tony Reznicek will present two talks sandwiched (no pun intended) between our traditional dish-to-pass luncheon. It should be a great way to end a great year.

Happy gardening,

Carol

No comments: